Here is a slightly embarrassing experience from yesterday:
- I updated the test server with some neat changes.
- Emailed a few people to let them know.
- They go to the test server.
- And its totally borked! argh!
And I didn’t know until someone told me! Naughty! Bad programmer!
So today I’ve setup:
- Up time monitoring for the test web site
- Up time monitoring for the test game server
- Game server exceptions now get emailed to me
- And a test script for me to follow when I make changes to the test server.
The test script is really just a checklist, nothing fancy, but should catch any major issues.
And I picked this up time monitoring site because it has the coolest name: http://www.uptimerobot.com … also their features are perfect, port monitoring a game server, free, 5 minute intervals, iOS updates. Awesome :)